Friday, September 9, 2011

Freedom: Do we really understand that in America?

Today we met with several local pastors and had the privilege to pray for them. This was in place of going to one of the children’s homes. Due to the weather, they had to cancel that activity. I honestly was heart broken, but deep down I know that we were meant to be with these pastors. We had breakfast and then met the pastors in our hotel dining room for coffee and discussions. However, it was quickly realized that we had to move to a safer place. The mayor of the town was also eating breakfast- they (along with several other tables) were listening to our conversation. This put them in grave danger. In this particular city (along with many more in India) if one wishes to change their religion they must go before the town and publically declare that no one has coerced them to changing religions. They must document their religious choice. It is my prayer that even though we moved the prayer meeting to another room, they do not experience harm from meeting with us. The pastors remained downstairs to eat and one at a time, they came up to one of our rooms- where we had gathered- to share their testimony.

For the first time, I honestly felt a bit on edge while in India. Am I concerned about my safety, yes; however, I am more concerned for those we met with. They have been beaten; locked up by villagers; stones thrown at them; motorcycles damaged (primary means of transportation); and gone through many other forms of persecution- all because they worship God.

So, tonight (or today depending on when I post this) take a minute to thank God that you have the freedom to worship the one true God. It is a freedom not to be taken lightly and one I fear we often do take for granted. Thank a soldier today as well.

Even though we arrived at 330am, there were people from CICM waiting to welcome us and to make certain we were taken care of as we traveled from the station to the mission. It is quite obvious that we are potential targets- Caucasians in general are not very common; however, a group with four white chicks probably stands out a little more. Even though our train was late (over 1 ½ hours late), someone was waiting at one of the stations to provide us with food- food that was prepared safely for us to eat.

We came through the gates (which have crosses on them) and upon our arrival to the CICM Children’s Home (different than the one we did not get to go to), there was a welcome banner with our team members’ names on it. Our rooms are very nice- I, again, have my own room and private bath. Being the lone single female on the trip has its advantages. 

On the train, San jay opened the door for me to watch the countryside go by It was so beautiful. I find myself wondering and wanting to shoot CLEAN IT UP. Trash is everywhere. What I must realize is that the people have lived like this a very long time and in a country without God they cannot see the same beauty in the world that I do. We went by rice field after field, the sun was starting to set, and all I can think about is how much God loves the people here. Yet, many of them do not know it.

Cows are a god here (just so you know I think our first meal in NY will involve BEEF- something even McDonald’s does not sell in India. They have chicken burgers.) yet they are just allowed to roam the streets with no care provided to them. They eat the garbage in the streets.

We are all gaining so much from this experience; we are not in one place very long, what difference does this make for the people? Our hosts told us that the people we meet are honored that we are not just sending money (although I believe people are meant to do that) but that we have taken the time out of our lives to come to visit them.

We have gained more than we have given, but we know that God had a reason for us to be here- He knew we were coming and He knows the needs of both the missionaries here as well as the people on our team.

We are preparing for a busy few days- touring CICM tomorrow along with a rest break in the afternoon. Then, we will be divided up to teach at the CICM schools and ultimately, will be able to see and help at the medical camp.

No comments:


A girl's gotta have. . .

A girl's gotta have. . .
A sanctuary.

Scripture I'm workin' on learning. . .

Isaiah 55:8 (New International Version)8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

Blessed is she who believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished. Luke 1:45 NIV

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24

Malachi 4:6a "I the LORD do not change."

"You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."
John 13:7

"Humble yourself before the Lord, and he will lift you up." James 4:10

"Cast your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7

Psalm 56:3-4
3 When I am afraid, I will trust in you.
4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?


Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 145:3
Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.


Isaiah 30:21
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Ephesians 5:20 "always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Ephesians 5:29-30 "After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body. "



Where in the World. . . Have I Been?